[FFmpeg-user] Anyone having success capturing hours of 4k video, reliably and with low loss, using ffmpeg?

Rafael Lima ragpl07 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 02:01:08 EEST 2018

Jim,

Teorically there is no limitation on ffmpeg that would make it fail because
of the long running time... there are many stream serveres built with
ffmpeg running on 24hours basis.

You had an experience and you didn't like the result, what on your result
made you conclude that was ffmpeg fault? How to make sure the loss is not
related to the camera, to the connection between server and camera, to
server limitations... have you had a sucessfull test with the same
configuration just changing the ffmpeg to one propretary system?

I believe most of people who answered before were believing you need to
compress the data before store, since 1h of 4K can lead to some terabytes
of data if not compressed

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 5:34 PM, Jim DeLaHunt <from.ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com>
wrote:

> On 2018-07-23 10:25, Rafael Lima wrote:
>
>>   They set up a 4k camera on top of a building (have electricity, but
>>> limited internet),
>>>

>> 4K on limited internet? is just in my mind that those two words doesn't
>> fit
>> together?
>>

>> What do you mean by " capture 6-12 hours of 4k 29.92fps video from that
>> camera"? Is the camera streaming the video somehow and you just need to
>> store it?
>>

> Thank you for your reply, Rafael.
>
> I'm sorry if my original message wasn't clear. I understand why "4K" and
> "limited internet" might not fit together. The missing part is "enough
> terabytes of reasonably fast SSD storage on the server to which the camera
> is attached to hold the video".
>
> So yes, I "just" need to store it. And I need to store every frame of 4K
> at 29.92fps. And I need the capture system to not run out of memory, or
> crash, during the 12-hour session.  And if an individual part of the
> capture system could crash more often than, say, during 1% of the 12-hour
> sessions, then I need some kind of redundancy to allow another system to
> capture if the primary system has failed.
>
> On 2018-07-23 10:25, Rafael Lima wrote:
>
>> ...If it is your only limitation are the [bandwith] and storage as
>> ffmpeg doesn't need to process nothing and it could be done with any
>> stream
>> saver program
>>

> This sounds reassuring, as if this isn't such a hard task after all. But I
> don't hear you saying that you know of someone who has done it.
>
> On 2018-07-23 00:42, Roger Pack wrote:
>
>> It "should" work assuming your transcoding/disk can keep up with realtime
>>

> Thank you, Roger. I am hearing you say "should work", not "did work, for a
> real-life case I know".
>
> On 2018-07-23 05:42, Another Sillyname wrote:
>
>> Yes, but honestly I think you [Roger Pack] are over simplifying it......
>>
>> For example, are you intending to capturing scenes with high activity
>> that requires a much higher bandwidth and transcoding capability? ...
>> The capability exists and as you've stated the existing solutions can
>> be crazy expensive, but if you're going to homebrew a solution you
>> need to do some work/testing to make sure what YOU want to capture can
>> be done within YOUR budget.
>>

> Thank you, "Another Sillyname". This is what I'm concerned with: that it
> might work, might not, and the only way to gather data is to try my own
> experiments.
>
> My goal with the question was to limit the range of possibilities, by
> having someone come forward with concrete experiences. If I hear, "we tried
> it, it was crazy hard", maybe I should tell my boss to pay for the crazy
> expensive commercial solutions. If I hear, "we tried it, it was pretty
> easy", maybe I encourage my boss to let me homebrew a solution.
>
> In either case, we will have to test it.
>
> Thank you all for your replies,
> [...]

Rafael Lima