[FFmpeg-user] How to compile ffmpeg on Android

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Jul 14 14:51:55 EEST 2018

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 13:27:55 +0200, Mohammed Bey Ahmed Khernache wrote:
> >  The make it work, you need to have libSDL2 available.
> libSDL2 must be installed on the host machine (where I am building), or on
> the target machine (Android)?

How is your compile process on the host machine influenced by what you
install on your target?

Like with all the other external dependencies, it needs to be there at
compile time, and either statically linked or available on the target
at run time.

> >  Is ffplay of any use to you on android? Do you expect it to play on the
> > Android device's screen? (I'm not saying that's ruled out - I just
> > have big doubts.)
> I need *ffplay*, because when decoding a video it gives how many frames are
> dropped. This is an important metric I need to evaluate video decoding.
> I don't know whether I can get this information using *ffmpeg *or not.

We had maintained, in your previous thread, that ffplay is not a
suitable tool for that, especially if you're not displaying at all.
Jsut decoding with "ffmpeg -i bla -f null -" should show you the
decoding performance, and whether it is realtime capable or not.

Moritz