[FFmpeg-user] Strange results with -preset

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Sun Jan 28 21:20:06 EET 2018

Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 18:38:48 +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> | faster    | 106.2 |    7 |
>> | veryfast  |  83.2 |    5 |
>> | superfast | 177.4 |    4 |
> [...]
>> So it looks like I should always use superfast. (But probably a good
>> idea to test it with a few other videos.)
>
> Funny, I had the same result with the *one* video I experimented with a
> few years ago. I believe your bracketed sentence is the important one:
> Do test this on plenty of videos. Some content will behave differently
> than others.

Well, it looks like it is 'generic'. Yesterday I had done 12 files
that where total 2.1 GB. When doing veryslow they where 443.6 MB en
took 6:04. Today I did it with veryfast: it took 0:40 (so about 9
times as fast) and they where 333.6 MB. So about 25% smaller.

In all twelve individual cases the veryfast is smaller as the
veryslow, but not in all cases the same amount.

I find that really weird.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer