[FFmpeg-user] Strange results with -preset

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Jan 28 19:50:17 EET 2018

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 18:38:48 +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> | faster    | 106.2 |    7 |
> | veryfast  |  83.2 |    5 |
> | superfast | 177.4 |    4 |
[...]
> So it looks like I should always use superfast. (But probably a good
> idea to test it with a few other videos.)

Funny, I had the same result with the *one* video I experimented with a
few years ago. I believe your bracketed sentence is the important one:
Do test this on plenty of videos. Some content will behave differently
than others.

> Anyone an idea what could be happening here?

I would guess that the different measures applied by the encoder have
more or less effect on the particular video.

If you find a somewhat generic sweet spot for yourself, all the better.
(If I have plenty of time and energy, I apply a very slow encoder,
otherwise, I just choose the one which doesn't strain my patience too
much. And that differs from PC to PC I use.)

Moritz