[FFmpeg-user] best_effort_timestamp_time

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 00:16:38 EET 2018

> In this very case, I will be able to test the video timing at the spot
> (using a turntable or alike as a target), but rather often, the cameras are
> already dismounted when I come into play, thus this is a question that
> matters when settling litigation issues ...

[...]

> Input #0, avi, from 'C:\Temp\Motorradvideo\20150424_200000_0301_crop.avi':
>   Metadata:
>     encoder         : Lavf55.0.100

(Assuming the camera does not use FFmpeg as firmware
which is very unlikely.)
You have a problem here.
The input you are analyzing is not the stream that was
created by the traffic camera but a file created with FFmpeg.
So while there may absolutely be an issue (that we may or
may not be able to fix), this file cannot be used to prove
anything in court, I strongly suggest you do not try.

The camera either produced a network stream or a raw
H.264 stream. You hopefully still have access to it and
FFmpeg may help you analyzing it.
(Although H.264 timestamps are a known issue with
FFmpeg and who knows if the camera manufacturer
did any better with them than we did.)