[FFmpeg-user] Howto remove ffmpeg custom build

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 01:08:10 EET 2018

> I have downloaded and build ffmpeg version N-90022-g50945482a7
> from git for testing purposes.
>
> Now I would like to remove this version and use the one provided
> by my distro again.

You can try "rm /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg".

Note that the distro version of FFmpeg is known to have more
bugs and less features, every-day FFmpeg gets the same
quality measures as releases.

> How can I completely remove the custom build git version?

I recommend to never install your custom build, by default a
binary is linked that you can either run from the build
directory or from your favorite location (from where you
can easily remove it), I never install.
"make uninstall" is supposed to remove the custom build
binaries from the installation directory, note that I suspect
the option is not well tested.