[FFmpeg-user] mpdecimate and setpts

Chen Fisher chen.fisher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 08:57:51 EET 2018

I'm using mpdecimate to remove similar frames:
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -vf mpdecimate out.mp4

But the ending result has the same number of frames as the original video
file (although smaller file size).

When using mpdecimate with setpts, the ending result has indeed smaller
frame count and smaller file size than before.
BUT, it will also change the time and "skip" those similar frames. I'm
looking for a way to remove frames but still have the time as the original.
So the "duplicate" frame will actually be played for the duration of all
removed duplicate frames.

ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -vf "mpdecimate,setpts=N/FRAME_RATE/TB" out.mp4

Thanks!