[FFmpeg-user] Continual reconnection attempts so long as video buffer has information

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Feb 6 00:37:04 EET 2018

On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 20:02:22 -0500, Mr Arca9 wrote:
> running into an issue with HLS stability.
>
> Upon receiving a 403 from an m3u8 link, ffmpeg will only try to reconnect
> once and if it fails it will stop trying to reconnect.

Does it really? (I couldn't find the code which does this.)

>From my basic knowledge of HTTP, I don't see why one would retry
without actually changing something about the authentication.

> Is there a way to have ffmpeg reattempt to connect to stream X amount of
> times, regardless of responses or repeated failures?

Why should a "permission denied" go away after several attempts? I
think you would be trying to abuse ffmpeg for working around a
substantial server issue (or else doing a DoS).

I think you would have to make a proprietary hack of ffmpeg's code to
get this behavior.

Moritz