[FFmpeg-user] Merging VP9 files, without audio

Morten W. Petersen morphex at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 01:16:43 EET 2018

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 9:44 PM Dennis Mungai <dmngaie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello there,

Ahoy Dennis.

> I'll answer the second part, concerning GPU acceleration:
>
> First, consider what platform you're on. With Windows, you have access to
> QuickSync (Intel), NVENC (Nvidia Kepler+) and AMD's VCE through AMF (On AMD
> GCN-class hardware).
> On Linux, you have access to VAAPI (on Intel and to a limited extent, AMD
> GCN GPUs  with the mesa driver), QuickSync (Intel) and NVENC (Nvidia
> Kepler+).
> For applicable limitations, see this:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro
>
> A few rules of thumb:
>
> 1. If you're targeting VP8 and VP9 encoding on hardware, only Intel -based
> IGPs expose this capability through VAAPI (at the moment). This is
> available on Coffeelake and beyond.

Right. I saw Ittiam had a VP9 encoder which makes use of the Mali GPU,
but I think it is best to use a desktop for the concatenation and searching
of
video.

Just for raw power, and quick results while I'm experimenting and
developing.

> 2. Newer GPU generations across all vendors (AMD, Intel and NVIDIA) do
> expose better support for the common codec types, namely VP8, VP9, HEVC and
> of course, H.264/AVC (whose support at this point is ubiquitous).
> However, this is not always the case. For instance, with AMD Polaris+,
> their GPUs gained a HEVC encoder, and in return, dropped support for
> B-frames in H.264/AVC encoding. Be on the look-out for such regressions.
> 3. Understand that hwaccels have limits, particularly with quality control
> and format support, and as such, your mileage will vary. Carefully consider
> the trade-offs vs any potential performance gains your workflow may gain.

I have some older NVIDIA and AMD (ATI) cards, which I could use for
this purpose, as they're not being used for anything else.

What I'm trying to do, is merge some videos, and detect motion in those.

As long as the quality is good enough to detect motion, there could in turn
be shorter videos that are concatenated with higher quality, to enable
the ability to discern as much as possible in the video.

I see OpenCV says something about OpenCL as well, so if I'm able to
merge videos and scan them using these GPUs - great.

> Concerning performance:
>
> 1. The GT 1030 does not expose support for NVENC, so you can forget about
> hardware-accelerated encoding on it. However, hardware accelerated decoding
> should still be available for common formats.
>
> 2. For AMD GPUs and feature support, please start here:
>
> (a). The AMF encoder limits wiki:
> https://github.com/obsproject/obs-amd-encoder/wiki/Hardware-Support
>
> (b). The Radeon feature matrix: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
>
> Do reach out if you have any further queries.

OK, thanks for the info.

Kind regards,

Morten

--