[FFmpeg-user] Unable to build FFmpeg 4.0 on macOS

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 19:50:35 EEST 2018

> Am 29.04.2018 um 16:31 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>>> --enable-pic
>>
>> Why is this needed?
>> (I see it often: If it has an effect, it makes the binary slower, so
>> I wonder why people add it.)
>
> because other than you people care about security and not only
> performance - learn about system hardening - and yes given the
> tons of errors and voodoo in *all* multimedia codecs it's
> recommended

Since you apparently studied this question much more thoroughly
than anybody else:
Which of the known (fixed or unfixed) bugs in FFmpeg with security
relevance (there are thousands) was (is) not exploitable
if --enable-pic was used?

Do you agree that if no such issue exists, it may not make sense
to incorrectly pretend an increased security?

Apart from the above: If the user is interested in security, why
didn't he use --toolchain=hardened?