[FFmpeg-user] ProRes XQ 12-bit support

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 25 12:02:47 EEST 2018

> On 4/25/18, Gonzalo Garramuno <ggarra13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> El 24/04/18 a las 18:32, Elliott Balsley escribio:
>>> Here are a few sources stating there is a 12-bit codec.  Are you
>>> suggesting they are all wrong?
>> No, he is informing you that there's no 12-bit codec in ffmpeg.
>
> Please, do not spread lies.
In an effort to control the clearly rising temperature of this discussion, I think it's worth being clear that this situation is fairly normal. People associated with the ffmpeg project have said some extremely ill-informed things about factors relevant to film and television postproduction before.
For instance, a while ago we had someone here arguing against the behaviour of Arri's cameras in the recording of RGB ProRes. Back in 2007, there was an argument by some very senior project people that drop-frame timecode should be omitted because it was seen as untidy. For ages, ffmpeg had very dubious handling of colourspace and luminance range conversion because it simply wasn't seen as important.
It's my observation that the people who work on ffmpeg are not postproduction engineers. That's fine, but they often will not accept advice from their better-informed and more experienced peers, and may be very impolite when well-meaning advice is offered. I think that's less fine, but hey, I'm not in charge.
Phil