[FFmpeg-user] Ffmpeg in copy-ing mode uses too much RAM

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:35:54 EEST 2018

> we have multicast that has multiple video bitrates and audios
> in it. We are trying to copy out some snapshot of the stream
> using -copy. It is 10 minutes and according to benchmark
> parameter, the maximum amount of memory uses 1.6GB
> which is a lot, considering that it should just read the
> multicast and save it into output file. Please check this

(Note sure if this is related to your question but FFmpeg is
not the right tool to save multicast input into a file, it is a
transcoding and remuxing utility, not a tool to dump
network streams, tcpdump should be.)

> pastebing  - https://pastebin.com/rVXhKivd.

Please avoid using external resources for console output,
future readers may be interested in your issue.

Is the issue only reproducible with network input or also
with file input?
Is the issue also reproducible without "-movflags faststart"?