[FFmpeg-user] HLS Questions

Ronak ronak2121 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 00:29:05 EEST 2018

Hi there,

I'm using ffmpeg to generate MPEG DASH & HLS content using a backing fragmented MP4 asset, and I've noticed some inconsistencies with ffmpeg that I wasn't sure about.

For reference, I'm running the following commands:

Generate a fMP4 backed HLS stream:

ffmpeg -i "${FILE}.mp4" -codec copy -hls_time 0.975238095238095 -hls_segment_type fmp4 -hls_flags single_file+append_list -hls_playlist_type vod "${FILE}_1sec_v7.m3u8"

Generate a fMP4 backed MPEG DASH/HLS stream:

ffmpeg -i "${FILE}.mp4" -codec copy -f dash -single_file_name "${FILE}_1sec.m4s" -min_seg_duration 975238.095238095 -hls_playlist 1 "${FILE}_1sec.mpd"

My questions are as follows:

1. The first command above generates an HLS manifest with version 7. The second command generates an HLS manifest with version 6. Why are they different, when they are using the same exact set of features from the HLS protocol definition? Shouldn't both be HLSv7 (the first version where Apple supports fMP4 backing assets)?
2. Is it possible to use a fMP4 and a SegmentTemplate/SegmentTimeline with byte ranges? A fMP4 has inherent benefits over numerous separate .m4s files, but then we have to pay the price of a really long manifest file. Why can't ffmpeg templatize the byte ranges themselves as well?
3. Is ffmpeg planning on supporting HLSv8 soon? That will allow us to use variable substitution in HLS, just like we can with MPEG DASH. Is there an ETA on when this would be available in ffmpeg's trunk?

Thanks,

Ronak