[FFmpeg-user] Lavfi video generator slow performance

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Apr 13 09:38:36 EEST 2018

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 08:17:41 +0200, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> > I'm not a programmer, sorry.  I guess ffmpeg is not the right tool for this
> > job.  Thanks.
>
> Have you ever noticed there are other video source filters? Like life, cellauto
> and mptestsrc?

Indeed, if all you need is frames with changing content...

In my setup(s), life is approx 3x fast than mandelbrot, and testsrc2 is
even 25x faster.

(mptestsrc only delivers 512x512, AFAICT, so it would need to be
rescaled again?)

Check
$ ffmpeg -filters | grep '|->V'
for more sources. I think the documentation even has a section of its
own, but I haven't checked whether all are even mentioned.

Cheers,
Moritz