[FFmpeg-user] How to drop frames to limit memory usage (or keep latency low)?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Wed Apr 11 12:18:48 EEST 2018

> Do you -need- full-rate motion?

No, but it would be nice if I could automatically get a variable
framerate based on whatever the CPU can handle.

> It sounds like you need to drop frames to match a constant FR that you then
> transcode. You might be able to use the framestep filter to discard every
> other frame, transcode, then use -r to set the desired output rate which
> will dup frames to fill the time. (I have not tried this myself.)

This seems to be the best solution.  Since my last post I haven't run
into a single memory issue since dropping back to 15fps instead of
30fps (although I'm using "-vf fps=15" instead).  Problem solved!

Cheers,
Adam.