[FFmpeg-user] Lavfi video generator slow performance

Elliott Balsley elliottbalsley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 01:56:58 EEST 2018

Hello.  I'm trying to use ffmpeg to generate test images, and I'm not
getting very fast performance.  Is there any way to improve speed?  If
Lavfi is the problem, then is there any other high-performance virtual
input I can use instead?  I would actually prefer to use something more
complex, like mandelbrot, but I just changed to solid red color for this
test.

Example command:

ffmpeg -f lavfi -i color=color=red -t 60 -pix_fmt rgb48le -y -s 3840x2160
ffmpeg\%4d.tiff
ffmpeg version N-90610-g2accdd3871

This runs at 6fps.  My CPU usage is only about 1% and my disk has plenty of
bandwidth (3000 MBps).

Thanks,
Elliott