[FFmpeg-user] flac format

Cley Faye cleyfaye at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 14:11:57 EEST 2017

> Thanks.  Also the viceversa is as much simpler?

​For audio conversion with no change to layouts etc. it is usually that
simple (but don't trust this blindly; I'm sure one can find subtle issues
if one look hard enough)​

>   And, please, what about wma
> ​ ​
> format?  Is it also lossless?

I saw that the conversion wav > wma and wma >
> ​ ​
> wav is simple as well...

​WMA, aside from being proprietary, have multiple variations. There is a
lossless WMA format, but there's no guarantee it will work with anything.
For example, my local installation of ffmpeg can decode WMA Lossless, but
not encode it:

 D.A..S wmalossless          Windows Media Audio Lossless

 D.A.L. wmapro               Windows Media Audio 9 Professional

 DEA.L. wmav1                Windows Media Audio 1

 DEA.L. wmav2                Windows Media Audio 2

 D.A.L. wmavoice             Windows Media Audio Voice

​​
​If your local installation happens to be able to use it, you'll have to
specify on the command line that you want to use 'wmalossless'​ in addition
to the file name. Otherwise it might use another (lossy) version.