[FFmpeg-user] Latest GIT version doesn't compile with libvpx_vp9 encoder

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Oct 17 18:44:19 EEST 2017

> I wanted to explain that now configure does not report the VP8 encoder like
> it was previously without --enable-libvpx.

That may have been a bug in ffmpeg's configure: External (non-system)
libraries were not supposed to be auto-detected. A lot of this was
changed and possibly fixed recently. You are now *expected* to state
"--enable-libvpx" (and "--enable-libopus" and so on).

> With the last GIT if I do not add --enable-libvpx to teh configrue line I
> won't even get VP8, VP9 is still not reported as an encoder though.

Which is peculiar, because your config.log hinted that cp9 support was
successfully probed.

> libavcodec/libavcodec.a(libvpxdec.o): In function `vpx_init':
> /root/GIT/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libvpxdec.c:57: undefined reference to
> `vpx_codec_vp8_dx_algo'
> /root/GIT/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libvpxdec.c:57: undefined reference to
> `vpx_codec_vp8_dx_algo'
> libavcodec/libavcodec.a(libvpxenc.o): In function `vp8_init':
> /root/GIT/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libvpxenc.c:1180: undefined reference to
> `vpx_codec_vp8_cx'
> Makefile:107: recipe for target 'ffmpeg_g' failed
> make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1

This, again, means that the libvpx ffmpeg is trying to link against
doesn't contain these symbols.

> I'll try with the latest snapshot, just in case...

I think I may have a hard time reproducing this.

Moritz