[FFmpeg-user] Opus : difference between .opus and .ogg file extension

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 13:50:16 EET 2017

P.S

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 10:24 AM,  <nerbrume at free.fr> wrote:

> What's going on here ?

Answered in previous email.

> What is the container used when encoding a file to ".opus" ?

OGG. opus just seems to be a codec, not a container. When you use the
.opus extension for your ffmpeg output, an OGG container is used, and
the filename extension is .opus.

> Which one should I use (I'm aiming for maximum compatibility, mainly with android phones) ?

I dunno, but according to the spec:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7845#section-9 - using the OGG
container with the .opus extension seems to be the way to go.
So this command line that you used is probably for the best  :

 ffmpeg -i test.mp3 -acodec libopus -b:a 64000 -vbr on test.opus

-K