[FFmpeg-user] Bit Depth of PNG Overlay with Alpha channel

Pete Willis pete.willis at support-partners.com
Fri Nov 24 00:48:48 EET 2017

We have a transparent PNG file with a drop shadow. The drop shadow when overlayed onto a Mov is rendering very dark.

Comparing the same file in an NLE (Premiere Pro) the drop shadow opacity is showing as much lighter.

I believe the problem is that the NLE is using 32bit colour depth where as FFMPEG is using 8bit colour depth. Is there a way to specify the colour depth of the overlay or the png?

The param we are using is -filter_complex 'overlay'

Thanks
The information contained in this transmission may be confidential. Any disclosure, copying, or further distribution of confidential information is not permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by Support Partners. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail. The email and its content is subject to our Ts and Cs. E&OE. Support Partners (UK) Ltd. registered in England, Company Registration number 5173073. Registered office is Brigham House, High Street, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 0LD, United Kingdom. Support Partners (USA) Inc. registered in USA. 19 W 44th St, New York, NY 10036. 30-0836529