[FFmpeg-user] id3 tags not really removed?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed May 31 14:21:37 EEST 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 11:37:50 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Now, you listers say that the problem is in that ffmpeg works with
> id3v2 tags whereas my car's mp3 reader does it with id3v1.

I said I *suspect*. What do I know. With your newest explanation, that
might not even be the case at all.

> Further tests show that changes in tags are actually detected by the reader but
> with a delay: in a first moment they are not, then I `play' again with tags
> using ffmpeg and then the reader finally reads them...

One might now even suspect that your car's reader does some sort of
caching. (Based on what? File names?) So what happens if you put back
the original files? Does it still see the new tags?

That's why I suggested:
- using some tool which can give an authoritive view of *all* contained
  tags (and not rely on ffmpeg, the conversion tool, and the car player
  to give you all your information);
- using a dedicated tool made for tags.

Moritz