[FFmpeg-user] gdigrab just capturing a still frame when using window title

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri May 12 23:06:49 EEST 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 01:21:41 -0700, Kenn Sippell wrote:
> Is there an alternative to gdigrab that can capture the game in Windows?

I have no real experience with capturing on Windows, but there's also
the dshow and the vfwcap input devices.

> I'm very performance conscious for my scenario (minimize CPU), is there an
> alternative to gdigrab that is less CPU intense?

It's probably not gdigrab, but the actual conversion? There are many
things you can do:
- reduce frame rate (may have little effect if the video content
  doesn't change much anyway).
- reduce resolution
- use a less CPU intense codec, or better
- tune the codec to use less quality (which usually means less CPU)
- tune the codec to use more bandwidth (which usually means less CPU)
- use a hardware (assisted) codec
- ...

If your encoding to FLV uses H.264 as video codec, you could try adding
"-preset ultrafast" (or "fast" or "faster") and watch the required
bandwidth explode. ;)

> Bonus round lol --- Can anybody explain (or direct me to some reading
> material which would explain) what is happening under the covers here?

LOL indeed! Which part of the covers?

Moritz