[FFmpeg-user] Feeding FFMPEG from buffer in c code RAW H264 to MP4 wrapping, or named fifo?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed May 10 16:37:51 EEST 2017

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 22:23:29 +0000, abraxas1 wrote:
> ok, i removed the opening and the closing of the files that ffmpeg is
> opening in it's own process. (they were legacy...)

They were wrong. ffmpeg does that just fine. ;-)

> now it seems to proceed through the recording nicely, with no output fro
> ffmpeg until recording stops.

If you mean the console output: You probably need to flush, in order to
see it, or make it unbuffered. (I think your program interacting with
the terminal may be buffering something like e.g. 4k of the output -
but I may be wrong.)

> starts, but probably with closing the fifo's which tell ffmpeg to finish
> the stream and close it's output file(?)

Yes, if the input fifo is closed, ffmpeg should detect EOF and stop
encoding.

> and results in this. again, this is happening across 4 streams and the
> output from the four ffmpegs is rather convoluted.

If you don't want the output to be convoluted, why don't you
- start off with one ffmpeg first, or
- log to separate outputs (e.g. with the "-report" option) - and stop
  omitting parts of ffmpeg's output from your reports to the list!

Cheers,
Moritz