[FFmpeg-user] H.265/HEVC for Premiere Pro compatibility

Chris Colton chris.s.colton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 20:20:46 EEST 2017

Hi all,

I tried to get an answer on this before I actually subscribed to the
mailing list, so I'm told I didn't receive all the replies so I'm just
starting over here.

I'm using FFmpeg to transcode to H.265 because Premiere's native encoding
is incompatible with Vimeo (Vimeo's transcoding causes a color shift in
HEVC from Premiere). I also love the constant rate factor encoding option
because it'll decide bitrate depending on the resolution needed. I used the
command below and VLC and Vimeo both play it (vimeo with no color issues),
but if you try to check the encode to the original in Premiere, it imports
with sound playing correctly and just a blank green image instead of the
video. Any ideas?

-i "source.mov" -y -c:v libx265 -preset veryfast -crf 23 -vf format=yuv420p
-c:a aac -b:a 320k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -max_muxing_queue_size 1000 "H265.mp4"
ᐧ