[FFmpeg-user] ffplay on current build does not play mkv file but on old build does.

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Mar 28 13:20:43 EEST 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 03:09:49 -0700, Tim Hiles wrote:
> > $ ffmpeg -re -f lavfi -i testsrc2=s=1366x768:r=30,format=yuv420p -f sdl2 foo
> Hi Moritz, Not sure what I supposed to see but I didn't see anything other
> than the command window.

It is supposed to open a playback window (with a generated test
source).

> Also the command window did not seem to respond
> to 'q'.  I had to ctrl + c three times to force it to stop.

That's not desired.

> Here's the command and output for 24th build. As you stated in your reply
> this was before they changed to sdl2 so the error that occurs makes sense.

In this case, the output device's name is "sdl". -> "-f sdl foo".
Please do try that with the old build.

My current analysis, in other words: Something is wrong with the way
SDL2 tries to interact with your display, that's why ffplay doesn't
open a window.

Does ffplay work with anything else than MKV/H.264? (Because that's
what you mentioned originally.)

Moritz