[FFmpeg-user] gain the highest quality with H264 at a certain bit rate

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 00:31:16 EEST 2017

negin tebyani wrote:
> this is the source video mediainfo:

That's not ffmpeg console output, but anyway ..

> Bit rate mode                            : Constant
> Bit rate                                 : 4 000 Kbps

So it's not a much of a master but (I guess) some re-encoded web stream
made from a broadcast stream, which you are encoding for a third time.

Was the "good" sample coded from this?

Maybe whoever made that one had a better master. In this case, I guess
the original broadcast, which was likely higher and variable bitrate.

> and yes, I need to use constant bitrate. do I need to use 2 pass with
> constant bitrate?

Probably not - others may/have given their opinion.
AIUI 2 pass is better for variable bitrate when targeting some file size.