[FFmpeg-user] Seeking for a method to remove sections of a video

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Sat Jun 17 21:21:57 EEST 2017

On 2017-06-17 18:22, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 15:30:36 +0200
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> My problem is finding out the cut points.
>
> I do all this on linux with ffmpeg, and I found the absolute
> best way to get the cut points in units that are bound to be
> correct is to use ffmpeg to transcode the original video
> and add time codes to it. Then I can watch that video in
> mplayer and use pause and singlestep to sneak up on the
> precise time code I want, and type it into the input file
> I use to do the cutting. See this example of the script
> I use:
>
> http://tomhorsley.com/game/ffmpeg.html#generatetimestamps
>
> No doubt it would be more effective to hack ffplay to be
> able to single step (and even save up 100 or so frames
> so it can step backward) and write the timestamps directly
> to a file without me having to copy them from the screen,
> but that would require a lot more ambition than I have :-).

I can find more or less the cutpoints with xine. But typing them is
something I want to avoid. If I want to be accurate, I do one run with
"--preset ultrafast", correct the points, then do the final run.

But all that is a nuisance. Surely there is some GUI to do the adjustments.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.