[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG and OCIO

Kevin Wheatley kevin.j.wheatley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 13:56:18 EET 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm trying to use ffmpeg in our pipeline and integrate it with
>> OCIO for the color space transformations.
>
> Why?
>
> What is wrong with the color space transformation in FFmpeg?
>
> What is OCIO?

OpenColorIO http://opencolorio.org/

I'll say that adding OCIO to FFmpeg is not simple in the general
sense. The two packages are not in the same space, OCIO is mostly
focused on high end VFX tools and as such is heavily in the floating
point processing domain, FFmpeg is not. It may make sense to add an
extension to the OpenEXR codec to extend the capabilities of the
float-> integer conversions triggered by the apply_trc option but that
is only from a conceptual point of view I did not look at the code
impact or even if it really fits well with FFmpeg.

It would be similar to adding ICC profile based colour management
support except most CMS engines are integer based so might fit
together easier.

Kevin