[FFmpeg-user] Raw video format

Mattias Andrée maandree at kth.se
Tue Jan 10 18:26:34 EET 2017

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:05:24 +0100
Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> <maandree at kth.se>:
> > I have a stream of YUV colours (with alpha), stored
> > with raw `double`s.
>
> FFmpeg does not support float pix_fmt and at least some
> developers believe that this wouldn't help anyway for
> expected input.
>
> > I want to use ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt ayuv64le
> > to convert this into a normal video format.
>
> This is the point:
> "Normal" video format is integer, so why would it help if
> you input float?
>
> > How should I encode each pixel so that ffmpeg can
> > decode them?
>
> RGBA64 comes to mind if your input is rgb.
>
> If you want to input float into FFmpeg, you have to write
> exr frames but note that they are converted to int before
> any further processing.
>
> Carl Eugen

I'm pretty sure I prefer YUV over RGB. Values in YUV are
floats, that can be negative or large, it does not have
the simple bounds of [0, 1], with the exception of the Y
value, like you normally have with RGB. So my question is
how should a YUV value be encoded as an integer?

Floats are useful for rendering, so I think it would be
preferable for ffmpeg to support it as it would speed
up rending as it would eliminate some conversion.