[FFmpeg-user] Troube with piping into ffmpeg and fast seeking

expenses expenses at airmail.cc
Sun Jan 8 00:44:01 EET 2017

Hi, I'm having trouble piping into ffmpeg with fast seeking on several
videos, for example,  this one <https://vid.me/07OE>   ('Download file'
under 'more').What I'm trying to do is to pipe some video in, seek to a
specific point and write out a frame. This is written in python, but my
problem is the same using the command line.For example:When I run the above
command I receive a couple of warning and errors:And nothing is output.
However, if I use output seeking instead, with:out.jpg is written to as
expected, and just the pixel format warning is shown.

What's going on here? Note that it seems to have problems on only some
videos but not others (I haven't found a pattern but it seems to work better
on .webms than .mp4s). Given that output seeking is so much slower than fast
seeking, it really isn't practical for me to use it instead.

I'm on OSX 10.11, but I had the exact same problem on a Raspberry Pi 2
running Arch Linux.