[FFmpeg-user] -movflags faststart revisited

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Feb 27 01:50:02 EET 2017

Am 27.02.2017 um 00:44 schrieb JD:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Cley Faye <cleyfaye at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Are there any flags that will let me playback an unfinished transcode?
>>> Reason I am asking is that if my various options in the transcode command
>>> did not yield what I like, then I would like to abort the transcode.
>>>

>> ​mp4 files will never be playable without "finishing" them. But you can
>> interrupt the process at anytime with 'q'; that will properly close the
>> file so you can play it.​
>>

> ​Thanks - that is somewhat a panacea, especially if one
> is not 50% or more into the transcoding - so that issuing
> a 'q' will not lose too much is only say the transcoding is
> into 10 minutes of the video.
>
> Now how about ffplay? I mean is/are there options
> to ffplay that would allow the playing of the unfinsihed
> mp4 file (without quitting the trancoding)?

just read about what "faststart" does - it moves important information
so that a file can start playing before it is completly loaded which are
normally only available after encoding is finished fro the end of the
file at the begin

since that informations just don't exist before that you can answer that
yourself

here you go:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/video/articles/mp4_movie_atom.html