[FFmpeg-user] -pix_fmt yuv420p and deinterlacing

Katherine Frances knfrances at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 14:59:15 EET 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:56 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Note that yadif is not the only deinterlacing filter, see the
documentation
> (I personally only used yadif for a very long time).
Yes, I've seen. I chose yadif since I like

> So to make sure you have exactly one filter chain (with a defined order)
> use the format filter.
> If you don't need specific filters (like scale and yadif), using -pix_fmt
> allows a simpler syntax.

Okay, I see the distinction and I think I have a handle on it now. Updated
basic script:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v libx264 -vf 'yadif,format=pix_fmts=yuv420p'
access.mp4

It's working nicely.

> No, and I am really surprised how this is possible given the many
> examples you have already seen in this very thread.

Both of us think the other a little rude. Now I understand about the
'interleaved' style replies, so it's sorted. Mea culpa.

Thanks very much for your help,

K.