[FFmpeg-user] eac3 encoding

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Feb 13 23:43:09 EET 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 15:25:39 -0600, Mike Brown wrote:
> What I haven't been able to find are the available bitrates for eac3.
> Obviously the normal ac3 bitrates up through 640kbps, but I do not know
> what is available higher than that.  The 999k above is just a place holder.

I don't see any restriction in the code, and the standard doesn't seem
to imply any restriction either:

  What is the full range of data rates for Dolby Digital Plus?

  Dolby Digital Plus can scale from 32 kbps all the way up to 6 Mbps. A
  typical range for Dolby Digital Plus on high-definition optical discs
  is 768 kbps to 1.5 Mbps.

(From
https://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/dolby-digital-plus-faq.pdf)

Moritz