[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG's MXF container support for DNxHR with Avid MC?

Alan Moore kahunamoore at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 23:28:22 EET 2017

All,

What should I expect in terms of being able to record or playback DNxHR in
MXF containers using FFMPEG and the compatibility of those clips in major
NLEs?

I see some support in FFMPEG source code (version 3.4) for DNxHR profiles
in libavcodec but the libavformat MXF read/write code doesn't seem to have
support for the new HR VCIDs (1270 - 1274), essence elements and other MXF
container meta data for DNxHR and yet... FFMPEG can read it's own MXF files
created with the DNxHR encoder. I'm guessing the MXF parser can read the
files by using the VCID in the *frame* header and ignores the VCID in the
MXF meta data/keys...

However, more importantly, the files do not "link" into Avid Media Composer
(using the MXF AMA plugin.) Is this known to work for anyone else? I'm
using MC version 8.8.1 (MacOS Sierra) and when I attempt to link the file
there is an error message saying it cannot link but no console log entry
saying exactly what it doesn't parse/like about the file.

I just need to know what works and what doesn't.

Thanks!

Alan

--
*"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius,
power, and magic in it. Begin it now."* - *Goethe*