[FFmpeg-user] Unable to make FFMPEG to work with Icecast2 Server

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Dec 4 01:50:48 EET 2017

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 00:42:50 +0100, Edgar H wrote:

> Basically I'm using the > operator to send the stdout data to ffmpeg in the
> following way...
>
> java -jar folder_in_project_root/streamer.jar > ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg.exe -f
> s16le -ar 48000 -ac 2 -i - -f ogg -content_type application/ogg icecast://
> hackme:hackme at 127.0.0.1:8000/streaming.ogg

Under the operating systems I know, '>' is the "redirect stdout to
file" operator. To direct the stdout to another program's stdin, you
would need to '|' (pipe) operator.

You would be overwriting ffmpeg.exe in this case. I wonder why Windows
actually manages to execute ffmpeg at all.

> When I tested this months ago, FFMPEG shown the data that was being
> streamed along more stats, but now when I execute the command nothing
> happens, it just hangs.

We usually like to see the complete, uncut console output. In this
case, ffmpeg is probably just waiting for something to appear on stdin,
which isn't happening (see above).

> Maybe it isn't able to connect to Icecast? Should I do something with ports
> or something to make it even work in localhost?

If that's your doubt, you would use ffmpeg with dummy data (anoisesrc,
for example) and see whether that works, to rule out the Java+stdin
part.

Moritz