[FFmpeg-user] global_quality with nvenc is deprecated. Use qp instead

joe flhtcu at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 02:42:54 EEST 2017

I am only learning how to use ffmpeg with my cheap GeForce gtx1050 card.

currently I am using  the following:

ffmpeg  -i (inputFile) -vcodec hevc_nvenc -preset slow -global_quality
23 -rc-lookahead:v 32 -surfaces 38 -c:a copy -map 0 -sn (outputFile)

However recently I am getting the following warning:   "Using
global_quality with nvenc is deprecated. Use qp instead."

the list of options confuses me, seems like -cq would be a suitable
replacement for -global_quality

   -cq                <int>        E..V.... Set target quality level (0
to 51, 0 means automatic) for constant quality mode in VBR rate control
(from 0 to 51) (default 0)
   -aud               <boolean>    E..V.... Use access unit delimiters
(default false)
   -bluray-compat     <boolean>    E..V.... Bluray compatibility
workarounds (default false)
   -init_qpP          <int>        E..V.... Initial QP value for P frame
(from -1 to 51) (default -1)
   -init_qpB          <int>        E..V.... Initial QP value for B frame
(from -1 to 51) (default -1)
   -init_qpI          <int>        E..V.... Initial QP value for I frame
(from -1 to 51) (default -1)
   -qp                <int>        E..V.... Constant quantization
parameter rate control method (from -1 to 51) (default -1)

I did a google search but really can't find any good examples using gp.
Could someone give me a  simple explanation of what I need to use to get
similar results to   :    -vcodec hevc_nvenc -preset slow
-global_quality 23 -rc-lookahead:v 32 -surfaces 38

thanks in advance,

joe