[FFmpeg-user] Hardware accelerated decoding issue

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Apr 11 23:25:43 EEST 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:08:52 +0800, Chih-Wei Huang wrote:
> I'm using ffmpeg 3.1 [...]

May I ask why?

> I notice one strange log comes from ffmpeg:
>
> 04-09 21:47:13.832  1414  2860 I FFMPEG  : [h264 @ 0xb3e04400]
> Hardware accelerated decoding with frame threading is known to be
> unstable and its use is discouraged.
>
> What does it mean and how to avoid that?

It means exactly that. You obviously avoid it by not using frame
threading.

Actually, that warning was removed quite recently, in commit
66963d4b8d302611553e7928063c1cb2ff0efdff, probably due to the changes
done quite some time before, perhaps up to commit
e0cd598bc4684654d63942e9ff4872c0b48a7dc2. I don't see either of these
commits in any release branch of ffmpeg. So, to profit from these
improvements, you may want to use ffmpeg git master HEAD instead of
your (quite old) release.

Moritz