[FFmpeg-user] Convert mkv video with 2 audio and 2 subtitle in format (e.g. avi) for playing in a dvd home player.

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Sep 22 13:27:48 EEST 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 11:23:17 +0200, arkkimede wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm looking for the right options to convert with ffmpeg a mkv video that
> have 2 language and 2 subtitle in a format compatible with an home dvd
> player.

To understand the input format you have, please show us the console
output of
$ ffmpeg -i yourmkvfile.mkv

> If it is possible, I want keep the resolution of the mkv video.

That depends on the resolution of original video. DVD is somewhat
restricted in what it supports. We'll see when we have the output of
the above command.

The real issue will be: If you have text-based subtitles, I believe
ffmpeg can't convert them. DVDs require bitmap subtitles (codec
"dvdsub"), ffmpeg doesn't provide such a conversion.

The rest can be handled fine. We'll show you.

Moritz

P.S.: You can burn one of the text subtitle tracks into the video
      though:
      https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HowToBurnSubtitlesIntoVideo
      But that can't be what you want.