[FFmpeg-user] displaying rtp sequence number using ffprobe

Ben Barker ben at bbarker.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 13:22:21 EEST 2016

Hi,

I'm attempting to use ffprobe to check the number of dropped RTP packets in
a stream I am receiving.

I have managed this to some extent by joining the stream using ffmpeg, and
capturing/parsing the stderr messages about RTP drops, which works, but I
wondered if there were a better way...
-show_packets
Using ffprobe in conjunction with "-show_packets" I can ask for a dump of
all received packets and associated info about those packets, and I can
even print the raw contents of those packets using "-show_data" - but what
I don't seem to be able to show is the RTP sequence number of that packet...

Were I able to retrieve that, then I could look for discontinuities in the
sequence number, and hence calculate a percentage packet loss (since from
the sequence  number range I know how many packets I /should. have received
over any given period

Any ideas as to whether this is possible? I could of course get this info
by running tshark at the same time as ffprobe...but if at all possible I'd
like to use one tool only...