[FFmpeg-user] Breaking up an audio/video file into multiple files

Sven C. Dack sven.c.dack at sky.com
Mon Sep 5 00:54:33 EEST 2016

On 04/09/16 22:32, jd1008 wrote:

> On 09/04/2016 03:31 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a video file which is a compilation of different songs.
>> I know the start offsets of all songs and durations.
>>
>> How can I use that info to use ffmpeg to break the file into
>> multiple files, one for each song?
> I meant the TIME offsets.

The option "-ss <time>" tells ffmpeg to seek forward to the specified time and
the option "-t <time>" tells it how much it should use. An example:

$ ffmpeg -ss 30:00 -i video.mkv -t 5:00 -c:v copy -c:a copy -y part.mkv

Here ffmpeg will open the file "video.mkv", seek forward by 30min and then copy
5min of video and audio into the file "part.mkv".

Sven