[FFmpeg-user] Reencoding from H.264 to H.265

Sven C. Dack sven.c.dack at sky.com
Mon Sep 5 00:09:21 EEST 2016

On 04/09/16 21:13, Peter White wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 04.09.2016 20:40, Sven C. Dack:
> > *** Please note that this is _NOT_ a comparison of encoders, but it is
> > meant to show the effect of the (down-)scaling filters on reencoding.
> > ***
>
> But what effects?

I am not sure how I can help you. If you still haven't understood that the
filters are having a significant impact on reencoding than how else can I show this?

You see, I could simply tell people not to do reencoding. It would save everyone
some time, wouldn't it? But this kind of attitude is often seen as disrespectful
and patronizing. People will continue to transcode videos no matter what.

So instead of telling people what they can and cannot do do I permit any use of
it and try to give people as much information as they need for drawing their own
conclusions and for making their own decisions. To deny them information can
only mean they will continue with less knowledge and so likely do worse, which
cannot be in anyone's interest.

Sven