[FFmpeg-user] Is there a better way to get/see stats when downloading videos via youtube-dl

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Oct 24 01:45:42 EEST 2016

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 23:54:32 +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> While I'm using youtube-dl, it seems internally it uses ffmpeg -

For some download types, such as HLS, it does use ffmpeg. For many
others not.

> Now it is only at the very end that you come to know what is the time
> of the whole stream (apart from the beginning if you have looked at)
> and the bitrate is in kbits sa well as speed which doesn't tell what
> the speed is about. Can all of this be done in some better way ?

Yes, ffmpeg doesn't calculate progress in percent, and I can think of
many good reasons for this.

> Also this seems to be interesting - is there a bug-report about this ?

There are quite a few bug reports at yt-dl.org requesting ffmpeg
download progress display. I personally can think of a clean way for
youtube-dl to display the progress as it does with other downloads: I
would use the "-progress" option, set its destination to a Unix File
descriptor via "pipe:N", and parse its fields. At the same time, the
console output of ffmpeg could be reduced to "-v quite -stats".

About the kbits vs. kBytes: youtube-dl can certainly do that
internally.

> [mp4 @ 0x20c4980] Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to
> muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead.
>
> Is this youtube-dl doing or ffmpeg doing ?

This is ffmpeg. There's nothing you can do about it, it will go away in
ffmpeg 3.2 I think.

Cheers,
Moritz