[FFmpeg-user] when to use 10bit

Sven C. Dack sven.c.dack at sky.com
Thu Oct 20 21:50:04 EEST 2016

On 20/10/16 19:07, ilker tezcan wrote:
> Also, old GPUs doesn't supports playback to videos encoded "10-bit" x264 in
> GPU (hardware-acceleration)  mode. Therefore the CPU usage increases while the
> 10-bit videos playing.

I think the question as to when to use 10bit can be reduced to "Before
encoding!". It will take a while before 10bit or 12bit has finally arrived for
the consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if the higher bit depth didn't find wide
acceptance before manufacturers have finally arrived at 16bit. I don't see how
consumers are going to buy new displays with every 2bit step. Marketing may try
to sell it, but consumers will have a hard time telling a difference and only at
16bit will manufacturers find the most common ground and can pour it into the
consumer market (i.e. still image processing is at 16bit for a while now) and
only then may we see 8bit getting pushed back. We will also likely have 1080p
and UHD everywhere with frame rates of 60Hz and more before this happens. Just
my $0.02 opinion.