[FFmpeg-user] when to use 10bit

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:08:42 EEST 2016

In my view, there are two more important considerations:
1. If the source is 10-bit video, encode it as such to preserve precision
2. You may want to consider encoding lower bit-depth source to 10 bits if the source contains flat gradients that may show banding after denoising and/or quantisation at the chosen bitrate.