[FFmpeg-user] Developer "cehoyos" closed my bug without any explanation, and without solving it

Cley Faye cleyfaye at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 20:57:24 EEST 2016

> baseline won't solve the problems. It doesn't force low timebase and it
>> doesn't force yuv420p colorspace, it doesn't force FPS 30 limit, so things
>> won't work
>>

> *you* are the one operating ffmpeg and so it's under your control,
> practically everyone which is using ffmpeg writes some wrapper script
> around and never bother about details in the future

​I've been reading this thread since the beginning, and I believe this
point wasn't stressed enough. ffmpeg is merely a tool that takes input, and
produce as output whatever you asked it to. It does not need to know the
specifics beyond the settings required to operate. Having the abilities to
set everything as required is enough.

Adding more command line options to ffmpeg as a convenience when the same
result can already be achieved in other ways seems inefficient, since many
people do write simple wrapper (sometime a single-line script) to fit their
needs anyway. Changing ffmpeg so that it tries to accomodate the specific
usages of everyone would probably be a nightmare to maintain, when a single
line shell/batch file would achieve the same.