[FFmpeg-user] Developer "cehoyos" closed my bug without any explanation, and without solving it

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 09:55:01 EEST 2016

Hi!

> sorry you feel this way, but looking at your bug report do you seem
> to have a misunderstand regarding who is responsible for which bugs.

The main point is that there is no "bug" (except maybe in VirtualDubMod):
Apple specifies how mov works, another standard defines valid isom files.
You cannot really expect QT to support isom when this is about
the few differences in the specifications.
And if you need compatibility with QT (and a few media players that
support mov anyway) you shouldn't choose isom as your container.

> You state that it's Apple's decoder that cannot play the videos.

More important is - imo - that the videos play fine with WMP which
primarily implements isom.

> And at the same time do you state VLC does play them. VLC uses
> ffmpeg's libraries

vlc by default uses its own demuxer (which - just as FFmpeg -
supports both isom and mov).

> so it obviously works with ffmpeg, just not with Apple's decoder.

> You first need to accept that the problem is very likely with the
> Apple decoder.

The problem is that the input video has a frame rate of
10000000 / 417083 which most likely wasn't intended, it should
be 24000/1001.

Requesting that FFmpeg should change the frame rate without
user interaction doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

[...]

> User problems are handled here on this maling list and not on
> the bug tracker.

This is an extremely important point.
>From FFmpeg's pov, there must be a difference between the user
mailing list (where you may report bugs) and the bug tracker
(where no user questions should be asked).