[FFmpeg-user] tools for viewing frames and results

Sven C. Dack sven.c.dack at sky.com
Sun Oct 9 02:52:00 EEST 2016

On 08/10/16 23:24, Xen wrote:
> Is there any way in Linux to obtain an accurate frame/time number through a
> GUI that can be used with ffmpeg?
>
> I know Avidemux hardly works at all, VLC will not reliably show frames.
>
> Pitivi is not an option, I haven't tried Kdenlive because it crashed the first
> time I used it.
>
> Haven't attempted OpenShot or Cinerella and "DragonPlayer" is too worthless to
> exist.
>
> What is a good tool to view results after you've created a video? Because VLC
> closes its window and constantly resizes stuff it is not very suitable.
>
> GMplayer in Debian doesn't work. (Kubuntu).
>
> Regards.

Don't call the work of others "too worthless to exist". Your rudeness is
uncalled for.

VLC doesn't have to skip frames but drops them as a feature to hurry up the
playback. You'll find it in its many advanced options. If its about viewing a
video frame by frame then you can reconfigure the GUI of VLC to include a button
for it. You'll find a keyboard shortcut for it, too.

My preferred player is mpv - simple, fast and yet powerful options. You can
watch a video frame by frame with , and . in single steps. When you start it
from the command line with --osd-fractions will it show an exact time code down
to milliseconds on the console.

$ apt-get install mpv