[FFmpeg-user] Encoding Apple-Quicktime compatible videos ? - Broken videos on Apple

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 01:07:13 EEST 2016

Hello all,

I have encoded a bunch of videos for my iPad into MPEG-4-AVC using
ffmpeg + libx264.
I'm using Debian Linux 9/testing and it's version of ffmpeg on x64 for encoding.

ffmpeg version 3.1.2-1 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers

Two of my videos have very strange behavior:
They can forward/rewind/seek first few minutes of the video, and after
a certain point I can't forward/rewind/seek video (but seeking audio
still works), and video stops playing after reaching that point.

This problem happens with ALL Apple decoders (iTunes+Quicktime on
Windows 7, Quicktime on Mac, and my iPad Pro).

The problem on two problematic videos is instantly visible with
Quicktime on Windows:I get
"Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie"

My Target device: iPad Pro 9.7 -- it has very powerful decoder. Even
4K UltraHD video in AVC works perfectly.

FFprobe for first of my problematic videos:
http://pastebin.com/Wh94xZR0

FFprobe for 2nd problematic video:
http://pastebin.com/tymVrL5J

Both videos play perfectly fine on Windows Media Player and VLC for
Windows, two separate decoders.

Any ideas ?
--
-"Technologov"