[FFmpeg-user] (de)-interlacing question

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 02:58:07 EET 2016

> 1. When i use ffmpeg's "-deinterlace" CLI option, which deinterlacer
>    is used ? Eg: in ffmpeg's documentation i can only find info about
>    a bunch of deinterlacers that are not called "deinterlace" on the CLI
>    and i think all of these have to be parameters to -vf (video filter).

I was sure that the "deinterlace" option is deprecated and therefore
not documented, I realize that it works and no warning is shown but
I would still recommend that you choose the deinterlacer you want,
there are several to choose with different qualities.

> 2. The 50i material i get from TV nowadays seems to be 720 at 25p material
>    that was motion interpolated to 50p, scaled down and then sent interlaced.
>    Aka: every second field is probably just invented by motion interpolation.
>    Which is quite annoying because IMHO this makes 50% of the bits mostly
>    fabrication instead of actual source bits.

Command line and complete, uncut console output missing, a sample will
probably be needed.