[FFmpeg-user] gdigrab on Windows 10 crashing the OS

Andrew andrewjameswood at ymail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:16:21 EET 2016

Im using gdigrab on Windows 10 (64bit) to capture the screen like this

ffmpeg -f gdigrab -video_size 1620x917 -offset_x 4 -offset_y 90 -i
desktop -b:v 1000k out.mp4

I can record short clips fine but if I leave it running for more than
about 30 seconds the entire UI freezes then Windows reboots. The Windows
Event log doesnt give any clue as to why it crashed.
Could it be running out of RAM (8GB) or has anyone experienced a bug
with gdigrab that can crash Windows like this?

Thanks